WorldCat is one of the databases accessible through the Fleece Library website. It is a database of the collections in more than 50,000 libraries of all kinds in 84 countries of the world. Needless to say, it is an enormous database!
WorldCat owner OCLC (Online Computer Library Center) recently did a research project to find the ten most commonly owned titles in those 50,000+ libraries. I am happy to tell you that the Fleece Library owns all of these titles in at least one format (print, video, DVD, tape):
1. United States census (We have the 2000 census in the reference collection)
2. Holy Bible (Need I say more?!?)
3. Mother Goose (We also have a book on The Gospel and Mother Goose)
4. The Divine Comedy
5. The Odyssey
6. The Iliad
7. Huckleberry Finn
8. Hamlet
9. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (all of our copies are in the juvenile section)
10. Lord of the Rings
We aim to measure up in general library terms, which this list shows we are doing, at least to some extent, as far as what we have. And we aim to measure up in theological library terms, which I believe we are doing.
I recently was speaking with a library director from another Bible college that is wanting to get accredited by SACS. This library director told me he had been told to look at the Fleece Library for a good model!! Needless to say, I was more than pleased... even a little bit proud of what God has enabled us to do and to be.
Friday, February 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment