There has been an article floating around a list serve today about a study done in the United Kingdom that concludes that librarians are the most unhappy profession. It quotes a librarian who says he/she is bored being stuck in the stacks of their library.
He-lllll-oooo...
Where does that person work? I haven't been to the stacks in weeks... I am busy learning new things, trying new things, making exciting plans, reading new articles, interacting with people about the library and its plans for the coming 5 and 10 years.
And I love it.
I have a job where I can stretch my knowledge and abilities every day, I can learn new things every week, I can interact with people who likewise want to learn new things every month.
I am not saying there is no stress involved, but what job, what person in the workplace today doesn't have some stress. I don't like stress, but I see it as part of my learning curve in my job, even though I've been at this for longer than I might care to admit. Whether it is learning about the budget process, Web 2.0 and social networking, or learning (more than I ever thought I wanted to know) about putting a new library computer system into place, or whatever the current week's challenge may be, it is a privilege to work in an environment where learning new things is "OK."
And I even get paid to learn. How much better off could I be? Even if librarianship is not the most lucrative profession!
Nope. I'm not bored. I'm as happy as a clam!
Thursday, July 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment