Friday, May 25, 2007

Wikis... Wow!

I am excited because I have been learning (a.k.a., reading and studying and researching... not necessarily in that order) about wikis and have just this week been introduced to a wiki that is of interest particularly to me, being the new wiki for the annual conference of the Association of Christian Librarians. I even had the distinction of being the first entry after it was introduced! I'd been "dying" to have a chance to enter something on a topic I actually had something to say about, so as soon as that message came, I went in and made an entry. This ACL wiki is limited to ACL members, and I like that limitation.

I am going to watch this wiki closely because I have been seriously considering doing something like this for our library staff as we work through the implementation of our new computer system. I also have thought it would be a good idea for student workers in different departments. We currently have email logs and I would think that a wiki might do what we've been trying to do with the email system, only more appropriately.

I know the South Carolina Library Association currently has a wiki http://http://www.scla.org/AnnualConference2007/HomePage for their conference coming up in October. I want to hear one of their speakers, Michael Casey http://http://www.librarycrunch.com/about/. I think he is the one who originally coined the phrase "Web 2.0."

In any case, I am pretty certain the Fleece Library is about to enter the 21st century in more ways than one!

No comments: