Friday, June 08, 2007

Challenging seminar

What a great seminar I attended yesterday! The College & University Section of the South Carolina Library Association sponsored a very informative workshop about the newest trends in using web 2.0 tools in libraries and it reminded me again of the many things we can do here at the Fleece Library that don't have to cost a lot of money (that being in short supply, as it seems to be for most small private colleges!).

I felt pleased that we at least have something we are doing in blogging, but perhaps we can beef it up a bit in the coming months. And I have been thinking a lot about creating a wiki, and after yesterday I am more sure than ever that this may be something we want to do in the coming months. We'll see if time and personnel constraints take their toll, or if I can fight that battle successfully!

And the session on tagging as an option to help students find subjects other than through the Library of Congress subject headings was especially challenging for me. I have been reading about this but have not really done much research into how it gets done, so that was very interesting and helpful to me.

I admire those who have been able to move ahead in such areas and try it out in their libraries. I look forward to seeing what we can do right here on Monticello Road in 2007-2008!

No comments: