Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Change... it's inevitable

Although I enjoy writing and do so for work and recreational activity, it seems hard to find time and creative juices these days to write on blogs and Facebook accounts and all the other ways that challenge us in this era! Listserves and message boards keep me busy reading and sometimes responding as well, but I've been thinking lately of how much my personality shows up in all this technological format of communication.

I am a fairly quiet, reserved person and I find it challenging many days to do all the interacting with people that being involved in blogging, listserving (is that a verb???), message-boarding (hey, I'm getting pretty good at these new verbs!) and "Facebooking" demand.

Some days I feel like I am being forced into vast communication events that I am not really prepared for, but that may be a sign of my advanced age more than anything else! My generation strived for social interaction on a different basis, but my desire as a library director is to see our library move ahead. I want our library to use whatever methods we can to enable ourselves in our work.

As uncomfortable as it may be for us on the library staff, we need to keep "moving on." I just read yesterday about change... change is inevitable. We cannot stand still. We WILL change. Our choice is whether to accept change and use it to improve ourselves and our work, or we can stand still and change anyway. But we'll be going backwards in that case.

I'm ready and willing to move forward. It just might take me a little longer than the 20-somethings using my library.

No comments: