Monday, February 12, 2007

Dear Library

I love library-based cartoons... have for many years. Some of my favorites include some Peanuts cartoon strips when Charlie Brown loses a library book and another when he has an overdue book and in both he is pleading with the librarian to have mercy on him and his family. Libraries have sometimes gotten a bad rap for making people pay overdue fines but it really is intended as a motivator to get books back on time.

That's why the Fleece Library occasionally has a "fine free" week. We just want our books and media items returned safely... and the amount of fines we charge is so small that we don't really get much out of it.

Dont' think we haven't ever thought about eliminating fines because we revisit that topic regularly. But then I look at the list of overdue items we have in one week and think, "Nope, not yet..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jo Ann, great blog. I enjoyed your postings. Blessings, Greg G