Tuesday, March 06, 2007

This ain't yo' mama's living room

I'm feeling a little testy this week. I suppose it is partly because I am trying to recover from the flu, read through my 487 emails that accumulated as I lay in bed sick last week (350 of them were spam, which doesn't help my attitude very much, either), and catch up on the six-inch high pile of ASAP tasks that accumulated during that same time.

Anyway, I am feeling testy over the absolute mess I see surrounding some of these students' study carrels that I must pass on my way to my office on the mezzanine every day.

I have often jokingly said that a student's carrel is their "home away from home" and I am glad so many find it a pleasant way to spend their study time... at their carrel in the Library. But when I look at the floor space around some of those "living areas" I wonder what their dorm room must look like! We are talking trash... papers, candy wrappers, empty drink bottles, pencils, newspapers, notebook paper... you name it.

Well, I've started my campaign to get things cleaned up. A reminder in the form of a power point chapel announcement is forthcoming. Next will be a sign as the residents of those carrels make their way to the mezzanine.

I'll wait to see if I have to go further than that. I hate to be the "mama" but I guess I'm the most logical one. But there is no mother here to pick up after you, so you need to do it yourself... I ain't yo' mama!

Yep, I can tell, I'm more than a bit testy!

No comments: